Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pumpkin Pie


I'm slowly working my way through the six kilos of pumpkin in my freezer, and now seemed an apt time to start a blog. I started out with (what TV leads me to believe is an) American classic, pumpkin pie. I had a quick look at the recipe on Closet Cooking (oh my goodness, one of my online bibles) and once I'd read

"A pumpkin pie is pretty simple; at its base it is pumpkin puree along with some eggs to bind it and help it set, some sugar to sweeten it and of course the pumpkin pie spice blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves."

I closed it and decided to just see how I went. As such, I don't have an actual recipe. Which is making this entire post seem kind of silly. However! I am clearly proving that you don't need to follow recipes to make food etc etc.




DELICIOUS PUMPKIN PIE

Mashed pumpkin (1 cup)
One egg
Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to taste
Sugar
Shortcrust pastry


Line a round baking dish with shortcrust pastry. If you don't have a round baking dish (HELLO, SELF), follow my ingenious lead and use a frypan. Thank me later.

Mix the pumpkin, egg, sugar and spices in a bowl.

Put on top of the pastry.

Cover in sugar.

Cook at 175 degrees for about 20 minutes or until it looks and/or smells delicious.


Simple, non?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A PIE IN A FRYPAN!? WELL I NEVAH. IT'S A TRAVESTY IT IS! IT'S UNHEARD OF! HOW POSITIVELY INGENIOUS! HOW RESOURCEFUL. IF EVER I AM STRANDED IN THE WOODS SOMEWHERE I HOPE IT IS WITH YOU SO THAT YOU CAN COME UP WITH SUCH BRILLIANT SOLUTIONS.