Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Cooking Basics: Poached Eggs (Attempt 1)

I deliberated about putting this under "cooking basics", because that implies that I am going to give you a recipe for a tried and tested dish (or what have you) that I always make. Not so much with poached eggs, as this was my first lesson in making them! Levi has made them for me a couple of times and this morning I decided he could make one, and I would make the next one. Five eggs later, I was eating one poached egg with my toast :(

On the upside, it was a delicious poached egg.

Does anyone have any poaching tips? I'm determined to get this right!



POACHED EGGS, ATTEMPT 1


1. Bring a saucepan full of water to the boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer

2. Crack an egg into a large spoon (or a 1/3 cup measure) and leave it there for a bit.

3. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, create a whirlpool in the water.

4. Gently lower the egg in and keep stirring to create the whirlpool - this is what binds the white bit to the yolk.

1 comment:

Bradley said...

I've never done it myself but I'm pretty sure the whirlpool is unnecessary... also my Dad likes to add vinegar (but you have to be careful not to add too much) (and I suspect he just breaks the eggs directly into the water). Maybe turn it down so it's simmering instead of boiling violently.