Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Eggplant Parmigiana


I started writing this mid-cooking last week, then started running late for Panto (even more so than I was!) and neglected it until today. Catchups!

I bought an eggplant on my weekly shopping trip with Gordo (so named because of his resemblance to this guy right here), and I couldn't think of what on earth to do with it so I adapted this from my usual Vegetarian Schnitzel recipe, which goes:

1. Put schnitzel in a baking tray
2. Cover with a can of diced tomatoes
3. Cover with cheese and put in the oven for 15 minutes while you make some spaghetti to eat it with.

I did get halfway through this and have a horrendous moment where I thought we had no diced tomatoes, but thankfully I'd bought some on special the week before last week. CRISIS AVERTED, GUYS.



EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA

This was more than enough for me, it could have fed anywhere from two very hungry people to four moderately hungry people. I suppose it depends on eggplant sizings and how much pasta you like.

1/2 a large eggplant, sliced (I do like... 1.5cm slices, its up to you)
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp crushed garlic
Olive Oil
1 small can diced tomatoes (you know, regulation can size... 400mL or so)
Cheese (I used tasty, gruyere and parmesan)
As much pasta as you like!

1. Salt the slices of eggplant and leave them to drain for about half an hour. This makes them easier to cook, apparently. MUM SAID TO DO IT OKAY, TRUST ME.

2. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, cook up the onion in the garlic and olive oil. Step back for a minute and smell how good it is (bonus smell points if you substitute olive oil for butter). Add the tomatoes and make it into a base. Saucy!

3. See what I did there with the 'saucy' pun?

4. Put the eggplant in a baking dish and pour the tomatoes over the top. Grate some cheese onto there and put it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes - I judge it by how melty and delicious the cheese is.

5. While this is happening, cook some pasta. I use fettuccine. Put that in a bowl, put a slice of eggplant/tomato/cheese on top, and away you go!


No comments: