Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Coconut Bread

Good morning pumpkins! I hope your week has started off splendidly. I overslept and now I'm a bit grumpy (not that I missed anything, but its true that when you turn off your alarm and fall back asleep you feel worse when you eventually get up), but I'm going grocery shopping soon and then working through my massive to-do list before Panto starts up again tonight! Its Scooby-Doo themed, and we find out the casting tonight. Fingers crossed my Velma-esque haircut swayed the casting panel a bit :P From what I've heard so far, the script is hilarious so I am mucho excited.

I was also mucho excited to make this Jamie Oliver recipe coconut bread, because I thought it would be a good breakfast food, and gosh-darn was I right! My only problem was that there was a lot of sugar (luckily after reading the UB's post on Jamie Oliver sorbet, I had the foresight to halve it when I thought the measurement was excessive) and it was kind of cakey in consistency as opposed to bready, but I also undercooked it a little so the middle was still a bit doughy and that could be why. Regardless, it was a nice breakfast and snack food while it lasted!


COCONUT BREAD
Serves 8-10
Total time commitment: 1 hour 30 minutes, most of which is baking
Adapted from Jamie Magazine, Sept/Oct 2010


3 eggs
400ml milk
300g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
180g dessicated coconut
1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped/1 tsp vanilla extract/1 tsp vanilla essence
100g unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease a loaf tin with butter. Whisk eggs and milk together.

2. Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, coconut and vanilla) in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and gradually add egg mixture, then butter, mixing until smooth.

3. Bake for one hour.

Notes:
- The original recipe calls for 200g each of sugar and coconut
- Recommended loaf tin size is 22x8cm
- You are pretty :)

No comments: