Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hotcakes

I'm starting to rather enjoy this whole "proper breakfast" ritual. Also, blueberries were inexplicably cheap this week and I didn't know what else to do with them (honestly, not much of a muffin person)/couldn't be bothered searching for recipes.

I'm starting to have mild freak outs every so often now that I'm not living with a family member for the first time in my life. When I went to make pumpkin scones, the Golden Wattle cookbook was gone because it's Tara's and she took it when she moved (luckily it was on the internet because damned if I ever use a different pumpkin scone recipe). When I went to make pancakes, the huge kids' cook book was gone as well, I presume Tara has that because her amazing choc-chip cookie recipe is from there. Luckily, I had this is a substitution, and I'm starting to think I prefer these to pancakes.

Also, homemade butter on hotcakes. Amazing.



HOTCAKES
Makes 8 large or 12 medium hotcakes
Total time commitment: About half an hour
Recipe from The Junior Cook

2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
50g butter, melted, plus extra for cooking

1. Combine eggs, milk and vanilla in a jug and beat until well combined.

2. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder, and make a well in the centre. Add milk mixture and melted butter, and stir until just combined. Lumps are fine!

3. Melt a little butter in a pan over a high heat, and add 1/4 of a cup of mixture. Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook the other side for a minute or so. Repeat for the rest of the mixture.

NOTES:
- Leftover mixture can be stored in the fridge for 1-3 days.
- You can mix fresh berries or fruit through the mixture just before cooking for a delicious alternative

No comments: