Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Gluten Free Friday: Vegetarian Chilli

This is one of those recipes for days (or weeks) where you really can't be bothered cooking, but still need to get your vitamins and other goodness from vegetables. Its one of the most colourful meals I've had in a while, and in my book that also makes it one of the healthiest. 

Unless you're using blue food dye or something, then you are not healthy in my book.





VEGETARIAN CHILLI
Serves 
Total time commitment: 15 minutes active time, 20-40 minutes simmering
Recipe adapted from something The Uber-Blonde cooked me once


1 onion
3 small capsicums
2 potatoes
200g red kidney beans
150g salsa
1 cup water (see note)
Spices

1. Dice onion and cut capsicum into manageable chunks. Heat oil in a frying pan (you will want a very large pan!) and cook onion and capsicum.



2. Cut potatoes into pieces (I did eighths) and add to pan. Add kidney beans and spices.


3. Cover with salsa and water, and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.



NOTES:
The original recipe had a jar of passata, which made it a lot more flavoursome and tomatoey. I, however, am saving my pennies, so didn't buy any. I would highly recommend it, though.

No comments: