Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Beer bread

Goodness, has it been over a week already? I'm sorry, Pumpkins (yes, that is your collective "readers" name, deal). I was on a family holiday and obviously hadn't scheduled any posts. I should get onto that for next time I'm away.

Since I started my kitchen cupboard overhaul, which will ideally end with me having most baking/cooking staples on hand always (like flours, cous cous, pasta, olive oil, baking powder, icing sugar, granulated sugar, caster sugar... that sort of lark. And vanilla essence. We can't forget that I never have vanilla essence), today has been the first time I've actually been able to announce "I'm going to go whip us up a snack" and had everything on hand. It was quite a momentous occasion, even if this is a fairly simple recipe :P And, to be fair, originally I'd wanted to make this, but I didn't have any bread flour or gluten to be able to make my own (thanks, Google, but we can't substitute today). So this was more of a second choice, but its so dreary and overcast - although a welcome break from the 35 degree days - that it went down nicely with a pot of tea.


BEER BREAD
Original recipe from The West Australian 'Fresh' liftout, many years ago.
Makes one decent-sized loaf of about 12 slices
Total time committment: 5 minutes prep, 45 minutes in oven

4 cups SR flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
375ml can beer 

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the beer. Mix well. 

2. Knead on a lightly floured surface and shape however you would like. 

3. Place onto a tray with baking paper and cook away. 


No comments: