Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Gluten-Free Friday: Sweet Potato, Sage and Ricotta Tart

I whipped this up for the Uber-Blonde and I to have for lunch the other day, which meant I got to use the food processor again! I don't know what all the fuss is about with cleaning them, I didn't find it that inconvenient. Although maybe it paled in comparison to how stuck the ricotta got to the baking dish, which is why I've suggested lining the tray with baking paper rather than greasing it with olive oil.

Just while I have you here - did you know the Uber-Blonde has dyed her hair? That makes her nickname rather redundant now, but she still looks very pretty.

This tart is really nice and quite light, which made it a good lunch in this darn heat. The only problem I had was how long it took to shave the sweet potato into thin slices, so I can only suggest that you start making this before you get hungry. And perhaps with a side salad. I get hungry easily.

SWEET POTATO, SAGE AND RICOTTA TART






Original recipe from Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 1
Serves 6
Total time committment: 1 hour, probably less if you are better with a vege peeler than I am.


Olive oil
300g fresh ricotta
1/3 cup grated parmesan
2 eggs
2/3 cup spinach, washed and torn into halves (I do this rather than chopping them, because its easy)
Handful of sage leaves
1/2 a large or 1 small sweet potato, peeled
Salt and pepper
Butter

1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line a baking dish with greaseproof paper. Place ricotta, eggs and parmesan into a food processor and blend until combined. Add half the spinach and half the sage, and blend again. Spoon into prepared dish.

2. Shave the sweet potato with a vegetable peeler to get thin strips, and place on top of the ricotta mixture, along with the other half of the spinach. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil if you wish (I didn't, because I am forgetful), and bake that bad boy for roughly 20 minutes.

3. WAIT! Don't think you have a free 20 minutes! While that's cooking, melt some butter in a fry pan and fry the remaining sage leaves until they're crisp. When the tart is done, serve it with the crisp sage leaves.

1 comment: