Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

The Kitchen Reader: Home Cooking

So on top of my SRC commitments that mean I'm posting at least once a month during my hectic uni times, I've also joined The Kitchen Reader, where members read one food-related book per month and blog about it. This month's book was Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen by Laurie Colwin, chosen by Sarah from Simply Cooked (whose blog is also fantastic!)



I wasn't expecting much from this book, because I'd prefer to be reading recipes (or, you know, eating) than just reading about food. I was very wrong! The book is amazing, and I've already sent it down to Mum to read because I am going to get crazy evangelical about everyone in my extended family reading the book. It's so good. There are recipes interspersed into the short essays, and it wasn't pretentious at all. I don't think its possible to be pretentious when you are writing about eggplant for one. I just enjoyed everything about this book, so you should probably pick up a copy ASAP.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Haha! I am glad you liked it so much. :) I think reading and eating are about equal for me.... Hmm. I do like reading cookbooks and all other kinds of food writing, too.

Fran {The Flavorful Fork} said...

Emily, thanks for your review! Sounds like you really enjoyed the book - as did I. I'm excited to be joining The Kitchen Reader club this month and look forward to your next review.

Stephanie said...

i also LOVED this book, and am definitely spreading the good word to everyone i know!

perudelights said...

I´m glad you liked the book. Thanks for the review.