This is my first 'guest' recipe - my Boyfriend made these while I was diligently studying yesterday and they were a success, regardless of the fact that I still maintain that they are BUTTERFLY cakes and should not have jam and should have whipped cream, etc etc etc. But thats another post for another day! The basic recipe is from 500 Cupcakes, which is a great book because the recipes are quick and easy enough for him to bake unsupervised :P
ALSO IN EXCITING NEWS - I found out one of my friends also has a food blog! It is amazing and you should read it right now.
LEMON FAIRY CAKES
Makes 12 - 18 large cupcakes
225g unsalted butter
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
lemon zest (he used grated rind of one lemon and some lemon juice)
115g unsalted butter
225g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 175C and prepare the trays with cupcake cases. Combine all the cupcake ingredients and spoon into the cases. Bake those bad boys for about 20 minutes.
2. While the cakes are cooling, combine the icing ingredients.
3. Use a teaspoon to dig out a well from each of the cupcakes. Spoon some strawberry jam into the newly-formed cupcake void and top with icing.
4. Cut the bit that should be sitting where the cupcake is now filled with jam and icing in half to make wings, and stick them on top of the cake.
5. Boil the kettle while you finish assembling the cakes and then eat them with a cup of tea or coffee.